ftp automation

ScriptFTP

The professional tool to automate FTP, SFTP, FTPS and schedule FTP batch jobs

The forum is now read only. Please, go to the the main ScriptFTP website if you need help.
Post here if you experience file transfer problems or unexpected errors.
I'm getting an error on one particular server.

When ScriptFTP says:
FEAT

Server replies:
500 'FEAT': Command not understood

Above this statement the Server replies:
215 UNIX type: L8

While I don't think it is causing an issue, if it's not necessary it would be nice to have the option to turn this off. Maybe something like what ya did with MODE Z. (BTW this server also doesn't support MODE Z). FEAT does cause a lot of text to be written to the log in verbose mode.
Hi Forest,

Your FTP server should support that command. FEAT is part of the FTP protocol standard as it was described in the RFC 2389 (from 1998):

http://www.ncftpd.com/ncftp/doc/rfc2389.txt

This command is used by the FTP clients (such as ScriptFTP) to know what features and optional FTP protocol commands are supported by the FTP server. I think that it's a must to send this command to the FTP server after connecting. Adding a new command to disable it is not a good idea as it causes no trouble and most FTP servers support it.
FEAT does cause a lot of text to be written to the log in verbose mode.
Try deactivating verbose mode before OPENHOST and activate it again after it:
Code: Select allVERBOSE(OFF) OPENHOST(.........) VERBOSE(ON)
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Although I don't agree adding a new command for this, I think that this kind of discussions are always positive.
Thanks for the tip on VERBOSE.

I didn't know that FEAT was a part of the RFC. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to get the admin of this particular server to be compliant anytime soon ....=)

Is it necessary for ScriptFTP to run the command? It seems like it's more informational than something the program would depend on to run correctly.
Is it necessary for ScriptFTP to run the command?
Yes, it's necessary. Depending on the result of the FEAT command ScriptFTP will use different FTP protocol commands to communicate with the server, this is because FEAT is used just after connecting. For example, to request a file listing from the FTP server there are three different FTP protocol commands. Depending on the FEAT reply ScriptFTP will use one of them.