ftp automation

ScriptFTP

The professional tool to automate FTP, SFTP, FTPS and schedule FTP batch jobs

The forum is now read only. Please, go to the the main ScriptFTP website if you need help.
Missing any feature or command? Post your ideas here. Suggestions are welcome.
Hello,

Script FTP is great.

I have made with it some automated transfer scripts for my clients. In some cases files are very large and transfer takes 0.5-1 hour. It would be nice to have some progress indicator on command line. Now it simply shows "Downloading...." and then user has no idea how long it takes or either if the whole system has blocked. Very good would be style:
"Downloading 15 MB/125 MB"

Excellent would be if there is also estimated remaining time at the end.

I hope that this feature does not exist, since I did not found it.

Thanks,

Timo Lappalainen
Kave Oy
Hi,
It would be nice to have some progress indicator on command line. Now it simply shows "Downloading...." and then user has no idea how long it takes or either if the whole system has blocked.
Thanks for the suggestion.

It would be nice but if I modify ScriptFTP_console.exe to show any kind of animation in ASCII (a line in the command prompt that replaces it contents, for example) many users will complain because this kind of things make the log files a mesh. Something like

Downloading 15 MB/125 MB
Downloading 15 MB/125 MB
Downloading 15 MB/125 MB
Downloading 16 MB/125 MB
Downloading 16 MB/125 MB
Downloading 16 MB/125 MB
Downloading 17 MB/125 MB
Downloading 18 MB/125 MB
Downloading 125 MB/125 MB

Many people rely on ScriptFTP_console.exe for batch processes or as part of another processes.
Hi,

Could the solution be if you have possibility to choose what to log to logfile and what to screen. This is actually an other usefull feature I was missing. Then I could have some things just printed and some going to log file.

Also progress printing period could be an option with default (0=newer). In this way feature does not effect to any old systems, but it could be set to e.g 60 sec.

Also would be good idea to have some timeout for transfer. It could be defined by min. speed. So if I set timeout to 50, I expect minimum speed to 50 KB/s and would get timeout for 100MB transfer at 100 MB/50kB/s=2000 s. In this way I could use scheduled scripts.

I could use GUI in most of my current solutions, but normal users are not used to computers like we and so they does not like several different windows. My tasks are also too complicated to write with SriptFTP language, so there are some pre tasks and post tasks done by batch around ScriptFTP call.

Timo Lappalainen
Could the solution be if you have possibility to choose what to log to logfile and what to screen. This is actually an other usefull feature I was missing. Then I could have some things just printed and some going to log file.
Yes, that could be a solution. But many people don't rely on LOGTO. For example:

scriptftp_console.exe myscript.ftp | do_something_rare_that_interprets_the_output.exe
Also progress printing period could be an option with default (0=newer). In this way feature does not effect to any old systems, but it could be set to e.g 60 sec.
Mmmmm, if any other customer request it I'll seriously consider implement this thing. At this time I think it is a bit rare and very oriented to your specific case. Note that in this cases ScriptFTP could be slightly modified to fit the customer needs. The fees are usually below EUR 80. (See the bottom of http://www.scriptftp.com/register.php)
Also would be good idea to have some timeout for transfer. It could be defined by min. speed. So if I set timeout to 50, I expect minimum speed to 50 KB/s and would get timeout for 100MB transfer at 100 MB/50kB/s=2000 s. In this way I could use scheduled scripts.
Yes, I think I understand. You need to have way to guarantee that a transfer does not take more time than expected. am I right?
I could use GUI in most of my current solutions, but normal users are not used to computers like we and so they does not like several different windows. My tasks are also too complicated to write with SriptFTP language, so there are some pre tasks and post tasks done by batch around ScriptFTP call.
You could also use EXEC to run this pre-task and post-task within ScriptFTP instead of calling ScriptFTP from the pre-task. This way, if these task do not create any windows only the ScriptFTP window is shown. ScriptFTP caputures the output of the command. Try EXEC("dir") for example. Also, if you do not want the users to stop the current transfer, run another script or anything else I can send you a ScriptFTP.exe version without menu and task bar. Just a window that runs the script provided as a command line argument.
Hello again,

I discussed with my client and they see this viewing progress very usefull and informative. I tried to use windows version and /autoclose, but they did not like it. Also on the batch there are some questions to answer, but I could not get it work if called by exec from script. So I see that only solution is to use mixed batches and scripts.

So what features you'll could add with 80€ fee you mentioned. I do not mind, if these are available for all in normal version.
1. Progress on command line
2. Timeout for transfer

And a new feature if not exist: Can I query for some user selection in script. E.g.
$result=Query("Could not connect. Try again (y/n)")

Timo Lappalainen
Hello Timo,

The features 1 and 2 could be added for that fee. Regarding to the third, I think that It cannot be implemented because of the way ScriptFTP is build. The scripts are aimed to be non-interactive, but If I find a way to do so without changing ScriptFTP from ground-up I'll let you know.

If you agree feel free to continue this conversation by email (scriptftp@scriptftp.com). This features won't be included in the mainstream version of ScriptFTP. I'm reluctant to include the first because of the way some people use scripftp_console.exe. But if I receive more requests like this I may finally include it.